Continue to explore Northern Nevada by walking the Kit Carson Trail.
Yee Haw! The Reno Rodeo Is Here!
It’s that time of year again! One of our favorite events to hit the Reno/Tahoe area is back again, and we can’t wait to go watch some of the fun! While most people attend the rodeo in the evening, the rodeo is going on all day every day it’s in town:
For example, on Saturday, June 22, it is the Reno Rodeo Kid’s Day. Families are encouraged to bring their kids down to enjoy games, win prizes, and spend time together.
There is also a carnival that is set up for you and your family to enjoy during the day, as well as the night.
One of the most unique events the rodeo puts on, is on Sunday, June 29, they host an annual Wiener Dog Race- a sure favorite for kids to watch!
And, while we absolutely love to attend the Reno Rodeo, it is also important to note what the Reno Rodeo Foundation has done for children and families in northern Nevada.
Formed in 1986, its sole purpose is donating funds raised to children and families through scholarships and community grants. “The mission of the Reno Rodeo Foundation is to enhance and enrich the lives of northern Nevada families by aiding children with extraordinary needs, building community partnerships, and providing scholarships to the University of Nevada, Reno” (http://www.renorodeo.com/).
We encourage you to go out and enjoy our amazing local events because not only will you have a great time, but you’ll also be helping our community become that much better. Here are just a few of the programs and services the Reno Rodeo Foundation provides:
• Scholarships to the University of Nevada, Reno for graduates of rural Nevada High Schools
• Grants to community organizations that serve children and families across Northern Nevada
• The annual Reno Rodeo Denim Drive to provide new clothing to abused and neglected children in protective custody and foster care
• The V.I.P.S. Life and Career Coaching program for foster youth who are “aging-out” of care
• Management of the Reno Rodeo Horseman’s Park and Gandolfo Arena?• Capital Projects including construction of the Kids’ Kampus Activity Center and the indoor riding facility at Picollo School in Reno
• Granting of Rodeo Wishes
• Support of community events through Team 355
• Facilitation of Partnership Funds, including Koz’s Kids, the Double Diamond Athletic Club Charitable Fund, and the Nevada State High School Rodeo Scholarship Fund.
• Assisting with the facilitation of the annual Special Kids Rodeo and the Reno Rodeo Reading Roundup Literacy Program
For more information about the Reno Rodeo, visit http://www.renorodeo.com/