Continue to explore Northern Nevada by walking the Kit Carson Trail.
Don’t Just Dine Out… Dine Outdoors!
It’s an outdoor dining season in Northern Nevada! With the beautiful surroundings, our area offers, it’s no wonder that so many restaurants have made outdoor seating a focus. As the warm weather sets in, here is a list of family-friendly stops as suitable for quick brunch as a late-night bash. So, don’t just dine out – dine outdoors!
1. The Stone House Cafe (1907 S. Arlington Ave., Reno) Enjoy one of the most pleasant breakfast experiences around on a large L-shaped patio flanked by trees and scattered with flowerbeds. The basic structure is nearly 80 years old, and the overall effect is that of eating on the grounds of a country estate. Favorites include steak eggs benedict, homemade hash and eggs and West Coast staple Joe’s Special. The restaurant also offers excellent lunch and dinner menus, but the morning really is the best time to stop by. Reservations are recommended.
2. Cafe de Thai (7499 Longley Lane, Reno) This is an aggressively stylish Asian fusion restaurant on Reno’s south side. The patio is carefully enclosed from the more mundane surroundings and features a feng shui water pool and statues. Lighter fare such as spring rolls and fowl curries are especially suited to outdoor feasts, as are the restaurant’s brightly colored, exotic cocktails.
3. LuLou’s Restaurant (1470 S. Virginia St., Reno) The restaurant sits on a busy street corner, but trees and fountains form a courtyard that allows diners to enjoy one of the best restaurants in the state. Fare is seasonal with an Eastern twist: Think salade Lyonnaise with ahi or a special paella. LuLou’s also serves cocktails in a spare bar featuring votive candles, low slung couches and unisex restrooms. Be advised: The place is not cheap, but probably worth the expense.
4. The Great Basin Brewing Co.: (846 Victorian Ave., Sparks) This fine dining establishment marks the center of the Victorian Square bar scene with a bustling patio adjacent to an outdoor stage. Shows include rock, country and even open mike nights throughout the summer. Great Basin also makes perhaps one of the most respected beers in Nevada, including the Ichthyosaur IPA and other locally-themed brews. Note – The place can be crowded, especially during the Sparks Hometowne Farmers Market on Thursdays.
5. The Squeeze In (5020 Las Brisas Blvd., Reno) This restaurant is an extension of a legendary omelet house based in Truckee, California. Dishes such as eggs, pancakes, burritos, burgers, and salads are rarely fancy, but are flawlessly executed and delicious, almost without exception. The decor is eclectic and endearingly strange, and the patio is enormous. Better still, owners recently announced that they had purchased a neighboring building to expand even further.
6. Silver Peak Brewery (135 N. Sierra St. and 124 Wonder St., Reno) As a Reno favorite, this restaurant offers spectacular outdoor seating at both locations. The Wonder Street location features a shaded rooftop that remains pleasant from noon until well after midnight, while the Sierra Street restaurant has a patio fronting the First Street entertainment corridor. Food such as salmon fish and chips and lamb burgers make for excellent pub fare. Brews are as good as any in the region, with Red Roadster and Silver Peak IPA being among the best.
7. The 4th Street Bistro (3065 W. Fourth St., Reno) This place offers French-inflected cuisine such as polenta, roasted duck and various pastas. Highlights such as watermelon, fresh herbs, and rare oils make for surprising new touches on standard dishes, with most ingredients produced regionally at sustainable facilities. A white-washed deck lined with flowerpots, artwork and other country inn accents make for an exceptional diner experience. Bon Appétit!
1. Adele’s Restaurant and Lounge (1112 N Carson St, Carson City, NV 89701) While keeping its rich tradition of fabulous food alive, Adele’s continues to bring new ideas and innovation to the table. With a focus on organic, sustainable and local ingredients, Adele’s offers a varied menu of fresh seafood, steaks and pasta. Dishes such as ahi tuna, duck and lamb frequent the legendary Daily Specials menus. The charming outdoor veranda offers ample space for social gatherings of all kinds.
2. Red’s Old 395 Grill (1055 S Carson St, Carson City, NV 89701) – With a unique atmosphere offering great food, unparalleled atmosphere and fun, Red’s is a local favorite! Try a tasty rack of BBQ ribs from one of their gigantic smokers, delicious hand-cut steaks, crisp salads or famous whole Buffalo wings. Ample outdoor seating is perfect for bringing friends and family to enjoy a spectacular selection of libations. Relax with the welcoming staff as you enjoy intriguing and approachable wines and brews.
3. Brugos Pizza Co. (3228 N. Carson St., Carson City, NV 89703) Sometimes, you just need some “mouthwateringly” delicious pizza. Charming outdoor seating arrangements combined with some of the best pizza in town makes this a fantastic go-to spot!
4. Glen Eagles (3700 N Carson St, Carson City, NV 89706) Choose from a delectable menu that offers an array of steaks, seafood, nightly entertainment, cocktails, banquets, parties, and more. Enjoy your meal in the beautiful outdoor eating space nestled in natural surroundings.
5. Mi Casa Too (3809 N Carson St, Carson City, NV 89706) Come taste the excitement of authentic Mexican cuisine served in a beautiful outdoor setting. This place offers exquisite Mexican cuisine creatively prepared using the freshest herbs and ingredients.
6. Kristopher’s Cafe & Floral Vinyard (939 Mica Dr. Suite #20, Carson City, NV 89705) This unique space offers a charming Italian Cafe… and a flower shop! While not typical, the food-floral combo has been a huge hit! If you’re in south Carson City, this place is a must-try.
Lake Tahoe Area
1. Christy Hill () – A memorable dining experience awaits you as you enter the Christy Hill Restaurant in the center of Tahoe City. The restaurant sits just 100 feet above the shoreline of Lake Tahoe on an elevated embankment offering diners a panoramic vista. The intimate setting offers guests breathtaking views of the beautiful lake and spectacular sunsets that can be seen from every table.
2. Jake’s on the Lake (780 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City, CA 96145) Located on the waterfront in the heart of Tahoe City, Jake’s boasts sweeping views of Lake Tahoe’s crystalline water and stunning mountain vistas. The restaurant’s classic waterfront grill menu showcases Californian Cuisine with infused flavors, innovative ingredients and exciting presentations. The menu features an impressive selection of fresh fish and seafood including exotic Hawaiian fish, shellfish, and steaks. In addition, Jake’s seafood bar is a popular favorite with locals and visitors alike.
3. Bridgetender Tavern and Grill LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION, couldn’t be more true for this beautiful restaurant. Come for drinks or perhaps to sit out on the incredibly long deck out by the river. Surrounded by aspen trees and sweeping views of nature, this place is picture-perfect.
4. Fresh Ketch (2435 Venice Dr., So. Lake Tahoe, CA. 96150) A favorite of locals and visitors alike, the classic waterfront location at the Tahoe Keys Marina offers sweeping views of the Sierra’s and majestic Mt. Tallac to accompany your dining experience. The seasonal menu entices with a wide selection of delicious and innovative creations.
5. Lone Eagle Grille on the Lake (Country Club Dr, Incline Village, NV 89451) Fresh off the heels of a $1.3 million transformation, Lone Eagle Grille provides guests with exclusive lakeside dining and world-class cuisine. The renovations include an open show kitchen, wine wall featuring more than 600 bottles of wine and an all-new menu concept.
1. Core @ the Cider Factory (420 B St, Virginia City, NV 89440) Off the beaten path in Virginia City, Nevada, but always easy to walk to. Nestled between two Victorian houses that now operate as Edith Palmers Country Inn, the atmosphere is elegant and intimate. The historic dining room and fireplace set the tone for Chef Richards exquisite food, and the shaded, private patio offers opportunities for great drinks and conversation.
2. Crown Point Restaurant (1540 S Main St, Virginia City, NV 89440) Even if it wasn’t the only restaurant in Gold Hill – it would still be a dining destination. The fare is robust, fresh and simply delicious. From daily game and fresh fish specials to mouthwatering takes on the classic burgers, pasta and pizza, you may have trouble deciding… because it all sounds and tastes so good! The experience is made all the more enjoyable by a window-filled dining room offering views to the surrounding hills, patio dining on warm summer evenings and an award-winning wine list.
1. 1862 David Walley’s Restaurant & Saloon (2001 Foothill Rd, Genoa, NV 89411) Nestled in the Sierra Mountain Valley, with a 360-degree view of the majestic Sierra Mountain range, 1862 David Walley’s Hot Springs Resort, Spa, Restaurant & Saloon is just minutes from world-class Skiing. At our newly remodeled 1862 Restaurant & Saloon you can enjoy a casual fine dining adventure while you entertain your palette with gourmet wild game or fresh seafood.