Bill Barry - When a kidney cancer diagnosis threatened to throw off his game, Bill…
The Kidney Stone Prevention Diet
These five diet tips can help prevent you from developing this common kidney condition.
Kidney stones can be incredibly painful. In fact, they’re painful enough to send more than half a million Americans to the emergency room every year seeking relief. They’re also more common than you might think. Roughly one in 10 people get a kidney stone at some point in their lives. In Carson Tahoe Health’s most recent Community Health Needs Assessment, kidney issues was identified as one of the top health concerns in the greater Carson City community.
You can protect yourself from developing kidney stones by incorporating more water and healthy foods into your diet. According to the National Kidney Foundation, you should:
- Drink more fluid to keep your urine less concentrated.
- Drink more than 12 glasses of water a day.
- Drink more if you’re exercising or if it’s hot outside.
- Cut down on sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, and excess salt.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables, which make your urine less acidic and, in turn, help prevent kidney stones.
If you’re considering changing your diet, a dietitian with Carson Tahoe nutrition therapies can help. Visit www.carsontahoe.com/nutritionalfacts or call (775) 445-5500 to learn more.