Take preventative steps to help keep healthy during the holiday season.
6 Tips to Keep Your Feet Healthy
Healthy feet are important for feeling good and staying active. So if you neglect your feet, that can lead to unnecessary pain and other foot problems.
Fortunately, it’s easy to keep your feet healthy. Use these tips to keep yourself active and your feet pain-free, brought to you by Carson Tahoe Health Podiatrist, Dr. Keith Card:
1. Practice good foot care. Check your feet regularly, or have a member of your family check them if you are unable to see the bottom of your feet. A mirror on the floor my assist you if no one is available to help.
2. It is important to keep blood circulating to and from your feet as much as possible. Do this by putting your feet up when you are sitting or lying down. Stretch your feet and toes while seated if you have to sit for long periods. Taking a walk, having a gentle foot massage, or taking a warm foot bath can also assist in promoting good circulation.
3. Avoid exposing your feet to cold temperatures.
4. Don’t sit for long periods of time with your legs crossed.
5. Don’t smoke because it decreases blood supply by constricting the vessels and increases the chance of swelling and other circulatory problems in the feet and legs.
6. Wear comfortable shoes that fit well. This can prevent many foot problems.
With proper care your feet should last a lifetime but problems can arise and should be evaluated by a foot and ankle specialist sooner than later if any pain or problems persist.