If you are like us, and love a delicious smoothie to start the day, then…
Berry Patriotic Fruit & Yogurt Parfaits
Looking for a delicious (and healthy!) recipe to celebrate the 4th of July weekend? Your kids won’t be able to resist helping you build these fun patriotic-colored parfaits.
Juicy strawberries, blueberries and cherries are tucked into layers of non-fat Greek yogurt – with just enough granola added for crunch and a touch of honey.
The colorful fruits supply healthy doses of vitamin C and antioxidants while the yogurt adds a calcium and protein boost. Unlike pre-sweetened yogurts, we use raw honey (reminder: never feed honey to infants under age 1) for a sweetness that’s not overly cloying.
Try one for breakfast or a healthy snack today.
• 1 quart plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
• 1 cup blueberries, rinsed• 1 cup fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
• 1 cup jarred cherries, such as Trader Joe’s Morella cherries
• 4 tsp. honey
• 1 cup of your favorite homemade or store-bought granola
1. Layer 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt in the bottom of a parfait glass. Top with 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup strawberries, 1/8 cup granola, and 1/2 tsp. honey
2. Add a second layer of 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt, topped with 1/4 cup jarred cherries, another 1/8 cup granola, and 1/2 tsp. honey. Repeat for remaining 3 parfaits.
Makes 4 servings.
Total Fat: 1.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Protein: 24 g
Carbohydrate: 50 g
Sugars: 30 g
Sodium: 90 mg
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Vitamin A: 2%
Vitamin C: 35%
Hope you have a wonderful, safe 4th of July!