With just 3 ingredients and a microwave, you can whip up this easy, indulgent…
DIY Peppermint Scrub & Lotion for Hands & Feet
Let’s face it – winter is torture on our skin. Luckily, this scrub-and-lotion combo made from the simplest ingredients offers a quick fix. In both concoctions, you can enjoy the softening benefits of a base oil, plus cooling, refreshing peppermint oil to hydrate, increase circulation, and diminish aches and pains. (The scrub relies on the exfoliating power of plain old granulated sugar.) Kick off those winter boots and mittens and indulge. Hint: this duo also makes a wonderful cold weather gift!
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (try olive, coconut, or almond)
- 3-4 drops peppermint essential oil
- Red food-grade edible food coloring
- Glass jar (that can hold at least 16 oz.)
- Mix sugar and oils in a large bowl until well blended and free of any clumps.
- Separate half the mixture into a second bowl and add a few drops of red food coloring and stir until you get a subtle red.
- Then layer red and white: Spoon some of the white sugar scrub into the glass jar and pat down with a wooden spoon. Add the same amount of the red scrub into the jar and repeat, alternating red and white until it’s all in the jar. For more of a swirl appearance, pull a knife clockwise through the jar once or twice.
Whipped Peppermint Lotion
- 3/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup oil (try olive, coconut, or almond)
- 3-4 drops peppermint essential oil (for scent)
- Glass jar (that can hold at least 8 oz.)
- In a saucepan, melt shea butter over low heat until liquified, then stir in the oils.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Once cooled, whip with a mixer to give it a fluffy consistency, and spoon into glass jar.