Dr. Baker fills you in on what to expect after a heart attack.
5 Great Ways to Love Your Heart and Your Life
If the start of a new month has you focused on staying heart healthy but struggling to find ways to do it, check out these tips to love your heart and your life.
1. Be Active: According to the American Heart Association (AHA), it’s important to get 30 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.
2. Eat Smart: You’re smart about your family, finances and career; so why not be smart about diet too? The AHA recommends a diet high in fruits, vegetables, fiber rich whole grains and monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. They also recommend decreasing your intake of sodium and saturated fats.
3. Evaluate your risk: If you already know that snoring problems and unruly hair run in the family, why not find out about the unique factors that may be increasing your risk of heart disease. According to the AHA, risk factors may include age, gender, race/ethnicity, family history and other medical conditions. They encourage people to understand their risk factors and find ways to reduce them.
4. Listen to your heart: If you think you are experiencing the warning signs of heart disease, pay attention. A trip to the doctor’s office and early detection may decrease your chances of a serious condition.
5. Know the facts: Take advantage of all the great information and resources out there this month. Recognizing the signs and knowing the culprit will help you prepare to prevent and fight heart disease. Join us at our FREE heart health events this month:
• TLC for Your Heart; Friday, February 7; 12:00 pm-2:00opm, Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center in the Bristlecone Room, 1600 Medical Parkway, Carson City. – Leading cardiologist, Dr. David Baker and expert dietitians discuss “Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes” and nutrition. There will be lots of information and a live cooking demonstration, making this event not only education, but also flavorful and fun. Please call (775) 445-5169 for more information.
• Matters of the Heart Cardiology Symposium; Tuesday, February 25; 6:00pm – 8:00pm, Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center, 1600 Medical Parkway, Carson City – Leading experts share the latest information on heart health. Please call (775) 445-5161 for more information.
For more heart health information and resources in Northern Nevada, go to www.carsontahoe.com/cardiovascular-care.html.