Cut your Own Christmas Tree | Carson Tahoe Health

Not only is it a great way to enjoy time with your family this weekend, but it’s also the perfect opportunity to  get outside and partake in some physical activity.

First, before starting the trek through the forest, you must get a Christmas tree cutting permit from whatever location you choose to visit. Permit issuers will provide you with a map of the locations where your permit is applicable.

U.S. Forest Service: (775) 331-6444
Bureau of Land Management: (775) 885-6000
North Lake Tahoe: (775) 831-0914
South Lake Tahoe: (503) 543-2694

Wherever you decide to go, remember to bring your own saws, tools and rope to cut down the tree and transport it back safely. As it is winter, be sure to dress appropriately and wear warm clothes. Bring snacks, water and a first aid kit just in case.

When cutting your tree, make sure you cut it as close to the ground as possible, so that when you get home you can give it a second cut before setting it in water. This is key to keeping your tree fresh throughout the month.

Permit information:

North Shore Lake Tahoe – Incline Village Forest Service office.
Cost : $10 (cash or check)
855 Alder Ave., Incline Village, NV.
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesday through Friday.
(775) 831-0914

South Shore Lake Tahoe – LTBMU Forest Supervisor’s office
Cost: $10 (cash or check)
35 College Drive, South Lake Tahoe, CA.
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
(530) 543-2694

US Forest Service
1536 S. Carson Street (US 395), Carson City, NV 89701-5291
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
(775) 882-2766

Bureau of Land Management
Cost: $5
5665 Morgan Mill Rd., Carson City, NV 89701
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
(775) 885.6000
The BLM is the only place that doesn’t have a limit on the number of permits they sell.