Make it a happy hour, not a hefty hour.
Five Foods to Fuel Weight Loss
Set your plate for success by including these foods that contribute to a reduced risk for diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.
1. Avocado — This heart-healthy source of “good” fats is full of vitamins and low in calories. Use it to boost heartiness in salads and sandwiches or substitute for shortening in banana bread.
2. Beans — An excellent source of protein and a carbohydrate that digests slowly, beans will help you feel full longer. At about 110 calories, one cup offers 8 grams of fiber with no cholesterol and less fat than meat.
3. Quinoa — Few grains can compare to the nutrient density of this super food that offers protein, calcium, antioxidants, and healthy fats. Preliminary research credits quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) with anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties good for better heart health.
4. Red pepper flakes — Adding flavor without the fat, red pepper flakes are one way to spice up low-fat entrees and healthy sides.
5. Water — Drinking water throughout the day instead of high-calorie beverages can reduce overall calorie consumption, raise your metabolism, and promote weight loss. For example, if you regularly drink a 20-ounce soda at lunch and dinner, skip it. You could lose approximately one pound per week.