Make it a happy hour, not a hefty hour.
Five Foods to Fuel Weight Loss
Set your plate for success by including these foods that contribute to a reduced risk for diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.
- Avocado — This heart-healthy source of “good” fats is full of vitamins and low in calories. Use it to boost heartiness in salads and sandwiches or substitute for shortening in banana bread.
- Beans — An excellent source of protein and a carbohydrate that digests slowly, beans will help you feel full longer. At about 110 calories, one cup offers 8 grams of fiber with no cholesterol and less fat than meat.
- Quinoa — Few grains can compare to the nutrient density of this super food that offers protein, calcium, antioxidants, and healthy fats. Preliminary research credits quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) with anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties good for better heart health.
- Red pepper flakes — Adding flavor without the fat, red pepper flakes are one way to spice up low-fat entrees and healthy sides.
- Water — Drinking water throughout the day instead of high-calorie beverages can reduce overall calorie consumption, raise your metabolism, and promote weight loss. For example, if you regularly drink a 20-ounce soda at lunch and dinner, skip it. You could lose approximately one pound per week.